Friday, October 16, 2009

Celebrity Sightings, Sweaty Doctors

We have now entered the phase of our course entitled "Essentials of Clinical Medicine" where we are integrating an actual, for-realsies physical exam (PE) with our history-taking. So, every Thursday, students meet with actors who are Standardized Patients.

Think about the last physical you had. Doctor made it seem pretty easy right? Almost like it was so easy that it was kind of wasting his time? (Especially the last one I had. I freakin' hate that doctor and don't know how he managed to get "Top Endocrinologist in Seattle" last 5 years in a row) Yeah. Not easy at all when you start out. I'm all thumbs when it comes to this stuff, and I'm not even exactly a stranger to it.

There's about a billion questions to remember, in order, while using the appropriate techniques AND maintaining rapport and empathy. Oh, and last week when the instructor told us we'd have 30 minutes for it, she lied her pretty face off. We actually had 25. 5 MINUTES IS A LOT. The result: I was running around the patient, barely forming coherent sentences, scrambling for all the right tools, and hardly even processing her emotional output. All the stuff we learned about rapport and agenda setting in the first week? Totally out of my head. I was sweating half way through the PE just from exertion and focus, the whole time thinking, "just be cool. Be cool. She probably doesn't even notice that you're sweating. Just fake it 'til you make it."

Oh, who am I kidding? I was panting and shiny. EVERYONE notices that.

Matt is starting to get plugged into the work scene around here, and in the meantime is taking care of Gunther while I re-integrate into full-time status. Honestly, I have no idea how I can handle taking care of Gunther by myself while academically full-time and Matt is out of town for work. I seriously wonder if I can keep him when Matt returns to COPS next spring.

Today, however, Matt and Gunther went to Malibu to play on the beach and in a state park--a state park that is frequently a set for movies. Who did he run into today? Leonardo DiCaprio. And Ellen Paige. Next Wednesday he leaves for a 4 day shoot for the Versus network.

Juggling our one car has become somewhat of an issue. More often than not, Matt drops me off at school and goes on his merry way, running errands, etc. I either find another ride home, or he comes and gets me at a predetermined time. So, this evening, after a fateful last minute change in plans, I sit here blogging in a gravel-filled "flower bed", listening to the buzz of cicadas, crickets and screeches of starling, awaiting my chariot. Which is coming from Malibu. On a Friday afternoon. At 6pm. This does not bode well.

The local cab company may indeed be sustaining its business entirely on me in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment