Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Thoughts on a 2nd Year

First thought that comes to mind: 2nd year could become 3rd year!! Egad.

Indeed the line between success and failure in this world of postgrad medical education is tenuous at best. Unless you're Casey. Then you're just A's all around. Suck it, Almost-Dr. Pyle. J/K--I'll need a fistful of those coattails you got there, please-and-thank you. Loooooove yoooouuuu *insert winning smile here*. (in all seriousness, I wish I had a fraction of the brains that guy does)

The breaks between bloggery on this end are because I'm dutifully occupied, nose to the grindstone, slowly destroying my already-borderline-lame long distance vision. Several colleagues have lamented to me that their vision has changed dramatically in these last few months, as we are doing far more reading than humans ever should.

Bloggery is not the only thing to suffer. The house is cluttered, the fridge unstocked, the dog getting fatter and laundry piling up (If only the student budget would support a monthly or bi-monthly housekeeper...). I haven't worked out in months, I haven't even quite figured out how to use everything on my iPhone. I say these things not to yammer on about my circumstances (I mean, please, I signed up for this of my own volition) in exchange for pity and/or care packages (send housekeeper!), but to illustrate the reality of 80h work weeks and concomitant curriculum changes. 

This combined with what truly is the arduous work of book promotion, I'm starting to get kinda tired. Promotion is by far the more difficult phase of publishing. I wish I was back in the writing/editing phase. I'm starting to think, "Wow, this all seemed like a really good idea last December, when my workload was a fraction of what it is these days." Who could have known that 2nd year would really demand so much more of me? Oh, and it gets harder in the 3rd & 4th years? And again with residency? Sweet!

On a good note, this process of literary promotions has led me into some great places. I've met some great people, both in and out of the medical field. I met a granola hippie, self-titled "metaphysician", the other day who had a long white beardlet descending from his chin in the style of a unicorn horn, who waxed philosophical about the immense benefits of reading the dictionary whilst high on LSD. But that's Venice for you. Which, when I compare, I find that Abbot-Kinney Blvd is so much like Hawthorne Blvd in Portland, but with a lot more sunshine. And famous people. After these 19 months of acclimatization, and recent discoveries of wonderful neighborhood pockets like Abbot-Kinney, a part of me is sad that I must return to the northwest to fulfill my contract with Western University. Another part of me foams at the mouth in anticipation of possibly returning for residency.

Then again, I could be in Michigan.

Someday I might get around to recapping the details of my 30th birthday party, which really turned out fab, despite multiple culinary fails. Since then, I've not had the time to stop and think about the comings and goings of being 30. Maybe after the nephrology final...

This'll hold you over--a cake for every decade!

And now back to that grindstone I mentioned, I mean, Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine tome.

2 comments:

  1. Fabulous Cakes! So when you come home in Dec. That's time for me to hear all about your details on your birthday. Don't forget!...plz.
    Keep up the good work in the study department. We know its tough, but you can do this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. MMMMmmmmmmmmm!
    Mr Tom

    ReplyDelete