Friday, August 24, 2012

Ode to OB/GYN

I just completed round #2 of OB/GYN, once again under the auspices of the Albany Obstetrics and Gynecology practice. I am happy to report that I have figured out that my interest and reinforcement actually lies in the field and content of OB/GYN, not just the great folks with whom I've had the pleasure of working this year. But that totally helps.

I recall a conversation with colleague and fellow resident of The Safety Nest, Almost-Dr. Casey:

C: "Why do you love OB/GYN so much? I never would have expected that about you."

Me: "Puh! Me neither! Part of it is that people are healthy, in general (and it's true. I hate managing congestive heart failure). Part of it is that the bad stuff that crops up in OB is *definitively cured*--not just treated--by delivering the baby. DEFINITIVELY CURED! How hot is that?"

C: [makes face] "Yeah, but...Ah. So much...vag."

Me: "Meh. I don't mind being the BV queen. And every cervix is its own Death Star, you know?"

C: "Uh...nope. No, I do not."

Me: "Oh, come on. You know, you gotta fly into the trench corridor [vaginal vault] and find the thermal exhaust vent [cervix], only about the size of a womp rat, fire torpedos [take pap sample] and then you gotta fly out before the whole thing blows."

C: [LOLs uncontrollably]

I'm sure this will change as my level of responsibility increases, and my on-call burden expands, but I would much rather spend a few hours helping a gal push a head through her pelvis than see common colds in the clinic. I would rather be up to my elbows in all kinds of whatnot, even if I have to do that in the middle of the night, than stay clean and dry in an outpatient setting (or manage heart failure). And when I am seated before a woman who has just delivered and am charged with the task of repairing the damage her baby left in its wake, all I can think is, I can rebuild her. I have the technology (which, of course, has long term bearing on her urinary and sexual health and satisfaction). And that's a good thing, because sometimes the destruction really is quite...grand.

I am thankful for the surgical mask because it's hard to suppress a grin.

No comments:

Post a Comment