Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Roundup

So many (blogworthy) things have happened since my last post. Alas, too many to record, so I'll pick one major one.

Two weeks ago Thursday was the day to tile the backsplash in my kitchen. It started off with the delightful task of scraping off as much of the old glue as possible. Unintended (though should have been predicted) consequence: losing the skin on all the joints on both of my hands. That crap hurt. Then the scabs itched. They were pretty big scabs.


The tile was set Thursday, grouted Friday night, sponged on Saturday and cured with the paint touched up by Sunday. On Monday morning, we cleared out of our house to make way for our tenants, Della and her daughter Julia. After a divorce and assisting with family illnesses, this is their first place of their own. To say they were excited is an understatement. They got a little hugsy. Hugging is not in the lease.

Our trip down 101 to Claremont was beautiful. The southern Oregon Coast and the Redwood forests are, in a word, breathtaking. Cinematic. San Francisco was completely socked in. Typical. In Cupertino, I suddenly got sick as a pig, but not with the Dreaded Pig Sick. I spent the next 2 days in the car trying not to throw up--a task that is in itself difficult for me who is of the philosophy that you can force a vomit and be rewarded with instant nausea relief, and compounded by 101's many curves. Not cool.

We camped out in our new living room through the weekend. Our stuff was delivered yesterday afternoon. At almost the exact same time, Matt conveniently decided to depart for Bakersfield, his next COPS venue. I will probably be done with boxes by tomorrow night. Then we need to fill in the holes: sofa, dining chairs, TV.

Other important information:

1. Matt received an Emmy for his last Marin Morrison story. It is the first Emmy he's won for any of those stories (Marin was passed over for an Emmy and won the Murrow instead).
2. It's super weird getting used to a house that isn't ours. Haven't had to do that for 4 years. And I'm frustrated that I can't go out and fix the things that I don't like.
3. Why would anyone put carpet in the bathroom?
4. My next door neighbor's name is Alvis. There's a first.
5. Matt gets to come home on the weekends from this venue. It's less than a 2 hour drive.
6. I am reeeeeally looking forward to a regular schedule in 2 weeks.
7. Major improvement over the Shoreline house: outlets. There are many grounded outlets in each room. Adios extension cords and power strips!
8. When I realized this place doesn't have a microwave I was very put out. Then I remembered: in 1981, they were like, "What is this 'micro wave'? I would hear more of it."
9. Pembroke Welsh Corgis are "bred for their prized herding skills in the steep hills near Wales". Well that explains the obsession with the stairs.
10. Don't know how we missed THIS one: it would seem that there is a commuter train that runs past our condo community. Every. Half. Hour. This is what I hear: (low) ding ding ding ding ding...(low) rumble rumble rumble...(not low) WOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNK! WONK! WONK! WONK! WOOOOONNNNNNNNK!

Every half hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment