Sunday, July 26, 2009

Last Week of ISAC

Wow that went fast.

Like, way fast.

I knew it would, though as I prep for my last new-material lecture and dissection, I realize that it really did catch me by surprise.

Similarly, I suppose Friday's exam will be upon me before I feel "ready" and thus my psycho-side will surely emerge again. Friday evening, the administration is hosting a dinner for us. That's nice. Not something one might expect after a summer-school session. I tell you what, I'm looking forward to 2pm and after on Friday. Then I have a whoooooole week to myself before hitting the fall semester and 2x the action to keep up with.

Note to self: must buy "trophy-shoes" (you know, the kind that look great and make you feel great, but really are only suitable for sitting) and stethoscope next week.

As a small group of us were studying today in an icy study suite, I popped off the question, "So...when do we actually feel like we know what we're doing?" Everyone kind of looked around at each other and mumbled, "I don't think that ever actually happens." Well then, my arrogant endocrinologist is quite the showman.

I've completely given up on trying to prevent my formalin reaction nowadays. The athletic tape, that was originally so promising, isn't holding up long-term. So, lest I come across a haz-mat suit left over from the set of "Outbreak", I'll just go bare-armed for this week and the hell with it. I'll deal with my ensuing 9 weeks as an inflamed lab assistant later.

Speaking of my appointment as a lab assistant (assuming, of course, my scores on this last exam follow the trend of the last 2), I've learned from experience what type of facilitator I will be, and what type I will most certainly not be (frankly, I'm a little surprised that the example in question was appointed to be a facilitator in the first place, because we have never been able to rely on his information with any reliability). This will require detailed review before each session and develop my own sets of quiz questions for the students. And I'll actively try not to give off weird vibes.

Lastly, a big shout out to my "fetus friend" Brian, who I have known my entire existence, and his delightful wife Molly who experienced their first moments of new parenthood this morning at about 1am. Welcome to the world, Tobias Richard Carlson.

He'll wear his baby COPS T-shirt with pride, I am sure.

3 comments:

  1. wow! Cant believe your done with this course. It went fast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK! when don I get my Cops t-shirt? I less interested in you and Matt than I am in my own interests.

    Mr. Tom

    ReplyDelete
  3. SHOUT OUT! It seems cruel and unusual to put the little man in a black shirt when it's 173 degrees out, but we'll have a pic coming soon.

    ReplyDelete