There is a cupcake/muffin recipe that I started using a couple years ago, recommended by my then-neighbor, Rene. It without fail always elicits wide-eyes and "Oh, my GOD"s. I will share it with you now.
Added bonus: in its frosting-less muffin form, it will only cost you 1 Weight Watcher point--if you're into that stuff. Not too shabby, eh? If, however, you're ready to splurge, mix in mini chocolate chips and/or swirl a little icing on the top. It can't be beat. In fact, since I've learned this recipe, I have not made muffins or cupcakes in any other form.
Ingredients:
1 box of yellow cake mix, dry*
1 small can of pureed pumpkin
*spice cake and devil's food cake mixes have been substituted with great success.
Directions:
use hand mixer to combine the 2 ingredients, being sure to scrape the bottom of the bowl to ensure that all dry ingredients have thoroughly mixed in. Spoon into muffin tin, either greased or lined with papers, and bake at 350ºF for 25 minutes.
They are, by far, the best when plain & 5 minutes out of the oven.
While high in sugar (though Pillsbury now makes a 50% less sugar mix), this recipe contains no eggs, no oil, and has the great benefits of all the good stuff pumpkin has to offer us: beta carotene! Vitamin A! Vitamin C! and others! I have had some success with making my own cake mix (be sure to use cake flour or at least "extra milled" flour), but this is one of those rare situations where the box mix actually tastes better than my homemade.
Believe it or not, kids dig this stuff!
No comments:
Post a Comment