So...about the book. I wrote this thing mostly in the summer/fall of 2004. From the time I typed the first word, I had a wild hair to publish it. I thought it was a helluva story--statistically impossible, yet true nonetheless. And through the years, as it sat dejected and accumulating dust in various desk drawers and cardboard boxes, I still had this notion of "I'm on a mission to publish."
Fast forward to December 2009 when my wild hair went crazy and I said to a group of colleagues and friends, "Come hell or high water that thing will be published by this time next year." I made the public announcement to make sure that I would follow through. And I did.
Fast forward to last week when, after much poaching of Amazon.com, my mother finds my book's page and then ejaculates this fact to all of her friends, and the orders start coming in. As I'm visiting the homestead, I inevitably run into these people who want to wax philosophical about the story with me.
It totally wigs me out.
I'm wholly unprepared for this development of anxiety and shyness about this story. 6 years in the making and I'm just now starting to grasp the gravity of what I've done. I don't care about strangers reading this--the masses can order all they want (please do). It's the people I know personally that totally freak me out.
I can't wait for the phase where strangers start snarking emails at me about stuff they don't like about the story, typos they found and general unacceptance. Maybe even wanting money back. I will be sure to post the best ones here. Buh-ring it.
No comments:
Post a Comment