Friday, July 23, 2010

Winding Down & an Ode on Alvin

I'm approaching the end of my summer break. I have about 16 days of freedom remaining. Then it's time to hit it hard for another year. Hard. There is some debate among us as to whether the systems this year will end up being as hard or harder than neurology or not. I'm hoping "not" since we also have Step 1 of the board exam to deal with, too. Step 1 is arguably the hardest and most important step. One's score on Step 1 has long lasting ripple effects for residency match. Did I mention I get to take two Step 1s? The COMLEX (the DO board) is required to earn my degree, but the USMLE (the MD board) will be necessary if I want to go do an MD residency or fellowship, say in oncology.

I'm in Portland through the weekend and depart bright and early for Sacramento on Monday. Will I get there that day? Probably. Seems to be about an 11 1/2 hour drive on my planned route (that involves a pit stop at Crater Lake). I'll spend the remainder of my road trip in the Sacramento/Bay Area.

My deadline to return to Claremont is August 1st, so that I might shadow an oncologist on the 3rd. Dr. Howard was our clinician during the Blood & Lymph system, teaching us the finer points of thalassemias, leukemias, micro-/macro-/normo-cytic anemias and other blood dyscrasias. Being a somewhat responsible student, I brought my First Aid book on my vacation with me with the intent of A) familiarizing myself with the terms and concepts needed in the upcoming Endocrinology system and B) reviewing terms and concepts for my day in Howard's clinic.

The results have been A) I don't know what the hell is going on in Endocrinology and have given up until August 9th--that's what I'm paying tuition for, anyway. B) I've forgotten way more about hematology/oncology since February than I care to admit. I'm suddenly afraid of the imminent pimping coming my way on the 3rd. Eeeg.

Otherwise, I am looking forward to being back home again (aside from having to deal with nosy neighbor Alvin* again). Living out of a suitcase doesn't suit me all that well. I long for my own bed. My own shower. My own stuff. And, yes, my own corgi. I see his happy clown face every time I open my phone--how soon we forget what a wee jerk he can be.

I have reached the conclusion that should I draw a Portland/Milwaukie assignment in November's clerkship lottery that I must live in the Clinton neighborhood. Though let the record show that I would settle for just about anywhere between NE Glisan and SE Powell and 30th to 40th. East Portland WIN! Should I draw a Corvallis/Albany/Lebanon slot, I'll live in Albany (less than a 90 minute drive to East Portland!).

*Ah, Alvin. I've appreciated a summer break from everyone's favorite no-authority, meddling neighbor with far too much time on his hands. When I first came to this condo complex, he was there keeping watch out of his garage, and was a wealth of information about the complex and what it was like to live there. I thought he was quite helpful. Then we moved in, and it became clearer that he really likes things around there done his way. And he still kept watch out of his garage all day, every day. I thought it was cute. He was like a camp host. Then he and Matt replaced the floors in our unit (he's a mason by trade) and it became really clear that he wants to be the boss of everything all the time. And he's got a temper. And a kind of violent history. I started to get annoyed. Matt started checking out the window before going out to get the mail, to try and avoid a rendezvous. But then he also suggested that when we needed a dog-sitter, we should let Alvin take care of Gunther, since he's out of work and would appreciate the cash. So we did. And it was good. The guy likes to be the boss of all dogs, too, and they obey. Then, on the last day of school, after our final exam, when I had several friends over to my house, he verbally assaulted my friend for "driving too fast" in the complex, threatening to call the cops on her. He called her names. He swore at her. He ignored her apology and kept right on shouting in her face. By the time she got into my house she was bawling, and it kind of ruined the rest of the night (ya think?). Now she doesn't want to come over anymore. So I confronted His Nibs about his behavior, calling it "out of line" and "a show of unnecessary force." His response: pacing around in circles, shouting and swearing ("Oh, bullshit that was outta line!") at me. This posturing lasted about 5 minutes. I kept calmly repeating my lines, hoping that all the neighbors were observing this through their windows--surely they could hear his clamor. Then, without warning it stopped and he suddenly said he owed her an apology. Well that's all fine and good, but the damage is done. The dude is a loose cannon and he's never setting foot in our apartment or taking care of our corgi again. We now have less than a year until we can move away. Jerk.

No comments:

Post a Comment