Sunday, September 25, 2011

*Gasp!*

Instruments included in a standard delivery kit

I've been saying it for awhile. Maybe you've heard me. Something along the lines of "I'm pretty much expecting to be seduced by the unexpected." Well, it might be happening.

I have to say that I'm quite impressionable these days. I've found that the personality of my preceptor(s) has a huge bearing on how much I get out of the rotation at-hand. Stockholm Syndromes aside. Because of this, it turned out that I really dug Family Medicine--because Dr. Mary-Lou found utter joy in all she did. And after awhile it rubs off. I dug general surgery because I couldn't get enough of Dr. Fred and his crazy-long eyelashes. The nurse anesthetists in Newport had me hot-to-trot for anesthesiology (still definitely on the table). In this last week, I have been assigned to Dr. Peggy, who I. Totally. Love. Maybe it's because I can see some of myself in her, ergo I can see a place where my personality could thrive. And here's the unexpectedly seductive part:

Obstetrics.

What? Lindsey? In obstetrics??!

I know, weird. Check outside because hell *might* be freezing over right now. Also, inspect the sky for pigs in flight, just to be sure. But, like I've said before, I'm looking for a career that will provide me with variety. To be incarcerated in an outpatient clinic all day, every day, for the rest of my career would be asphyxiating. Similarly, to be trapped on an inpatient floor 60 hours or more a week, constantly referring out for subspecialty consults for 30 years would slowly bleed me to death. And standing at an operating table nonstop 5 or more days a week would give me the worst varicose veins (not cute).

So here's where obstetrics comes in: you get to scurry about between outpatient and inpatient. You get to do surgeries and procedures several times each week. You use instruments. You sew stuff. You occasionally run, well, sprint, actually. And when you take off your gown, gloves, mask and protective eye wear every day, you can see how much you've accomplished. I like these obstetricians. They get all the excitement and variety of surgery (and make no mistake, this is a surgical specialty), but without the insufferable personalities. I actually like these people (what a concept!). Moreover, you get to be the end-point. The buck stops with you. You can be the boss if it all.

I kinda dig it.

Will I end up there? I don't know. The liability terrifies me. Haven't done hem/onc yet. Or anesthesia (3 cheers for respiratory physiology!). Or derm (yeah I love to cut stuff out of skin and use lasers and check rashes). How can I possibly fit everything into the next 1 1/2 years??

Too much cool shit!

1 comment:

  1. I can't help it Linds-I have to comment.....Wow! Pigs are flying! I think you would be a "FABULOUS" OB/GYN DOC.
    Ready to be an "On call rocker Grammy". A great job for when babies need calming.

    ReplyDelete