What's that new guy's name? I can't remember.
Doesn't matter.
But what I do find wildly hilarious--and by "hilarious" I mean "maddening to no end"--is that I was a Verizon customer for 8 years. For at least 5 of those years, I was constantly haranguing them about when they were planning on getting an iPhone. And I could never get a straight answer from them. Oh, I got sales pitches for other phones. I got the runaround. I got "I don't know, but maybe..." So after asking for the billionth time and getting no real response, I finally decided to jump ship.
I didn't have anything against Verizon. I thought they were a good service provider. But it was time for a smartphone, and I wanted one with an operating system that would work seamlessly with all my computers. I don't care if Droid is a "better" phone, I don't want to deal with all these horseshit extra steps to sync all my data from a mac. Just want to plug it in and go. I'd happily buy a Droid if it also comes with a personal assistant who will deal with all the crap associated with getting it up and running flawlessly, without losing any of my messages, bookmarks or contacts.
So I took my student discount and went to Tmobile, and rejoiced in lower prices and no contract, and from what I could tell, the same service. Then I bought a used iPhone off of ebay. Then I hacked it. Then it ran on Tmobile's network. It does all the things I want it to. It does them somewhat slowly because it's hacked, but, really. It's trying its best. It sends and receives calls and texts. It checks maps. It updates my FB. It gets email. It runs Epocrates. What more do I want?
What stings most is after all that trouble and all that work, the next thing I knew, Verizon was launching it's dumb iPhone. And I thought, Meh, who cares. I got my iPhone. It's fine. But then Tmobile is all, "Bler bler bler, WE don't need to carry the iPhone officially, bler bler!" And then AT&T is all, "Imma buy you up, Tmobile!" and I'm thinking, Sweet. Then I can un-hack my phone and it'll run fast. But no. FCC is like "Oh no you don't, AT&T! Think again, Tmobile!" So I think, Meh, I'll just play The Waiting Game. Then what happens?
The iPhone 4GS is announced.
ON EFFING SPRINT.
And so, children, you see it has come to pass that despite my best, nerdilicious, sneakiest efforts, every. single. major. American cell service provider carries/will carry the iPhone in the next year except mine.
Just goes to show you can't beat City Hall.
(I don't know what that means.)
No comments:
Post a Comment