The syrup of figs pertains to an old newspaper ad that someone had framed and hung on the wall in the OB clinic. Syrup of figs! Guaranteed! Oh, the stupid crap that people believe is infinite. Guaranteed. (click the picture to read the fine print)
![]() |
| Mmm...syrup of figs. I would prefer a box of Fig Newtons and NO baby. But that's just me. |
The paper Uggs are pretty important. You're used to seeing surgeons wear those little fluff blue shoe covers on TV, right? Well, they don't quite cut it in the world of OB, where blood is quite apt to flow rather freely. Or spray about (god love universal precautions). And when you're like me and you love your nice/expensive shoes, you much prefer to protect them than have to throw them away later. Enter the giant paper boots that resemble some hybrid between those stupid moon boots from the 80s, and the Ugg. At first I dreaded them. After a week, I appreciated that they had saved my Trophy Shoes several times. Then I saw some pictures of Uggs on Zappos.com and thought, "Well now, they kinda look the same, don't they?" Now I love them, and it will feel weird not to wear them next week. This picture was too good not to share. Sadly, I am under strict orders not to reveal my partner in fashionatics on the interwebs.
![]() |
| Suck it Manolo Blahnik, this is the next great trend in footwear fashion. |
The other item is what I have deemed the Surgical Grade Spoon. For a particular surgery, we were also doing a uterine ablation. This is tantamount to placing a custom, uterus-shape and -sized wire mesh into said uterus and activating an electric current that destroys the endometrial lining. This is one solution to the problem of recalcitrant bleeding. As part of the prep for this procedure, the OR staff place a D & C kit on the instrument table. D & C's (dilation and curettage) are done for ladies who have miscarried and need assistance in expelling the uterine contents. I kid you not that I was standing there examining the table and noticed a spoon set out among all the other instruments. Just a regular old stainless steel spoon, like you would eat your cereal with. It struck me as odd.
"What's with the spoon?" I asked.
"It's part of the D & C kit," the OR nurse responded.
"Seriously? Like, a surgical grade spoon?" I exclaimed.
"Hey, it works better for scooping than anything else," she shrugged.
I have never stirred my coffee the same way again.


No comments:
Post a Comment