Sunday, May 19, 2013

Commence

What a journey the last four years have been.

It was surreal, sobering and overwhelming to hear my name announced with the prefix "doctor," in public for the first time.



I could never have predicted how much this process would transform me--all of us. Certainly I have forged incredible relationships during these four years, cemented by all we endured and achieved in community. It is surreal to think that as I walked away from the Commencement ceremony, knowing that we are all scattering the the four points of the compass for postgraduate training, that I will likely not see many of these people again. Colleague and pal Dr. Jeff put it best:

Prior to starting medical school, I read this passage that exemplified the rigors of the curriculum. “Medical school is the anvil in which we are beaten into a new and perhaps uncomfortable shape. Luckily not all of us are made of iron and steel so there is a fair chance in due course we could return to our original shape.” I can understand the validity of the statement. Every student has changed one way or another; however, our original character remains. In hindsight, the last 4 years were the most difficult times of my short life. However, throughout the process, I have met an incredible array of individuals who impacted my development. I am forever grateful to have met and grow intellectually with my sisters, brothers, and friends. I would not have made this journey without you. Take care until next time we meet.

Moreover, I could not have done this without my Medical Family. We met during ISAC (Intensive Summer Anatomy Course) in the summer of 2009, and it was a pleasure to come in every day and work with them since. We have seen things, learned things that few others are entrusted to.

The Medical Family: Keepers of sanity. Purveyors of
hilarity. Executors of shenanigans. Passers of exams.
I have learned all that I can as a student; it is time to progress to the role and responsibilities of physician so that process may continue.

But if you need me between now and June 17, I'll be resting on my laurels.

No comments:

Post a Comment