Monday, April 20, 2009

Going On 6 Years

At Mary's wedding, KOMO folks Doug & Theron were going around and shooting interviews with guests. When they got to me, Theron asked, "What advice would you give them about the next 10 years?" I responded with something along the lines of, "I've only been in it for 5 years, so take this with a grain of salt..." and went on to list all of life's activities that detract your focus from one another. It's hard to remember your wedding day, all the energy that went into it, and why you even had one, when you're immersed in kids, school, work, economy, and family dramas.

But you must.

Perspective, cohesion and a healthy dose of nostalgia (brought to us by our good friend Oxytocin--the bonding hormone!) are needed to survive. 

On the same topic, I found the ring pillow I made for our wedding. It was a regular accent pillow that I loved--deep reds and golds woven into a detailed paisley type pattern--that I meticulously embellished with hand beading. When the bed is fully made, it's out for everyone to see. When the bed is NOT made, or is haphazardly scraped together, it stays in the closet with the other pretty pillows. 

So I uncovered it from the depths of the dark recesses and dusted it off, noting that some of the beads have fallen off, some of the stitching has broken, and most of what's left has tarnished with time. 

But when you set it in the light, it still sparkles.

How apropos. 

1 comment: