Saturday, April 11, 2009

The Life of a Military Wife

Except my better half isn't off doing something quite as noble or risky as fighting the terrorists. He's taping COPS. 

At first, I didn't notice the absence much. Sorry, but I have to be honest about that. The reason being that we have lived on opposing schedules from the moment we met. I can't remember a time when we've ever shared the same days off. Once I went back to school, life was very opposite. I was up at 6a, out the door by 7a. He'd get up mid-morning and go to work either at 11a or 2:30p. I'd come home from school around 2:30 or 3p. He'd come home around 7:30p or midnight, depending on the shift, and I'd do my homework at night and be in bed about 10p. 

This worked out quite well for the dog, who never had to spend more than an hour alone. 

So you see, I didn't notice much when he went off to shoot a network show. Except that his stuff wasn't always all over the place.

My friends laugh at me, saying, "Wow, you get to have all the benefits of being married without having to do any of the work!"

Any of the work? Wait a second. Who's up on the roof spreading mossicide? cleaning gutters? Mowing the lawn, hanging blinds, fixing the floor, or spearheading countertop replacement? That would be THIS GIRL. 

Now we're heading into our 3rd week of separation (that sounds weird), and I'm starting to get bored. Now it's getting weird not to have him around the house at least 2 days a week, even though I wouldn't necessarily see him on those 2 days.

The funniest part to all of this, is that because of Matt's work schedule as a sports photog, I would do a lot of things without him. Often, we'd get invited to dinners, holidays, parties, etc. at our neighbors' house, and he couldn't go because of work. So I'd go alone. Over time, this inevitably led to jokes about how Dave had two wives. And now, since I'm on my own for household repairs, guess who I go to when I need man-advice? Now I really am like 2nd wife.

2 comments:

  1. Are you going to miss Daves Father the baker? We will. That wss some "good eats" when he's in town.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ron. Yeah, I will miss him. He makes a fine caramel-covered bread pudding.

    ReplyDelete