Tuesday, September 15, 2009

The Most Furious Stroke of Them All

What do you think of when you hear the term, "Breast Stroke"?

I think of the stroke I do when I'm lap swimming and I need a little rest for awhile, but don't want to be a pansy and use the kick board. It's calming. It's smooth. It's slow. Most importantly, it's easier than all the other strokes--the one exception being, maybe, the Elementary Backstroke, which is no more than the Breast Stroke on your back and without the extra work of metered breathing. It also does a sweet job of gently wailing on your pecs and delts.

All this changes at the Olympics.

That is the only time when men and women launch into the water, furiously thrusting their way from one side of the pool to the other, heads bobbing, chests pumping, leaving a rooster tail of chlorinated spray behind them as they reach speeds unheard of in the rest of the Breast Stroking world.

It stresses me out.

No comments:

Post a Comment