Monday, June 7, 2010

Mr. Bubbles

Gunther spends most days in the "backyard" (if one defines a backyard as an overgrown cluster of palms and ferns bordering a poorly-made brick patio). He has a little cave for himself in the ferns where it stays damp most of the day, courtesy of the early morning sprinkler system. Not a bad deal if I do say so myself. Gotta be better than what I do all day: sit on my ass in a windowless amphitheatre, staring into a laptop all the livelong day, frantically tip-tapping away summary notes as quickly as my fat fingers are able.

Drawback to the dog's arrangement: he tends to get dirty out there.

Second drawback to this arrangement: lack of time in my schedule to give him appropriate baths.

So it was that we found ourselves on Saturday, me taking a break from studying and Gunther taking a break from napping in the corner, when I put my hands on my hips and said, "Oy, you need a bath." Then I went into the kitchen to get food. When I returned, the corgi had disappeared. Minutes ticked by and still no corgi. I called and enticed with sounds of food. Nothing. No sign of him on the ground floor, so I went upstairs to look. Eventually switched on the light in the guest bath to discover him sitting in the tub, waiting for the promised (and apparently highly anticipated) bath. So, bath ensued.

I'll take this opportunity to remark that this is the second time in a row that he has beat me to the bath. Last time I was kneeling down at the tub, warming the water and getting towels ready when a black and brown shape goes hurtling past my face and sails into the tub. Guess he was feeling not-so-fresh.

Baths are fun. In a single bath, Gunther gets more pet-time than in an average week. After-bath sports are sure to follow because he gets all hyped up when he gets towel-dried. He talks. He sprints as fast as his wee gams can carry him. I can only imagine what must go through his head: "OHMYGODI'MCLEAN!I'MCLEAN!IGOTTARUN!RUNTIME!LET'SGO!RUN!I'M CLEEEEAAAAN!!!"

Shortly thereafter he can be counted upon to fall comatose on his bed, and I can get back to work.

1 comment:

  1. you should post this on "Dog Book" I'm sure his friends, Barney,Fred, Sandi, and Barclay would love reading about this adventure.

    ReplyDelete