Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Summer Vay-Cay!

Ahh...the bliss of being able to do stuff when I want or, better yet, having to do nothing at all.

I remember now what it's like to enjoy sipping coffee from a cup and saucer in the morning, rather than powering through an industrial thermos whilst typing madly away with my other hand. I remember how many birds are out singing after dark. I recall the joy of dining al fresco, rather than shoving as much food into my mouth as humanly possible while running from the kitchen to the upstairs office for more study time.

I've made good use of my time here. I've shopped and lounged poolside. I've hit Los Felice for house-lusting, the Getty Center for Da Vinci sketches (and more!), Venice beach for fun in the sand and on the canals, Hollywood for outdoor showings of old movies in the cemetery, and Eagle Rock for a foodie paradise. Yesterday we checked out historic sites on Rte 66 from San Bernardino to Montclair--have yet to get to the Santa Anita racetrack, which doubled as a Japanese internment camp during WWII. I've seen the site of the very first McDonald's (don't bother; it was a letdown) and toured the wigwam motel. I've hiked some of the Icehouse Canyon trail in the San Gabriels and enjoyed a double feature at the Mission Tiki drive-in. Alas, have not made it to the La Brea tar pits yet--a must-do before school starts. But still, that's a lot of summer I've crammed into a week.

On Wednesday, my Dad flies in, and we embark on a 1400 mile Mini along I-15 through Nevada, Utah, Idaho, Montana and finally ending in Spokane just in time for Hoopfest. I've never been on a road trip with just my Pa! I hope he likes listening to Lady Gaga.

By the end of this month I'll have migrated from Spokane, WA to Portland, OR where I will be still for 2 weeks. And eat crab.

Oh summer vacation, how I LOVE THEE!

Last but not least, the 1st printing of Bow Ties, Butterflies & Band-Aids arrived today. I approve. It is now available for direct sale through the publisher, and will make its debut on Amazon.com in the next couple weeks. It is listed with Books in Print and distributed through Ingram, so look for it in your favorite bookstore and library (if it's not there, tell them to get it! I'll even provide the ISBN for their convenience: 1450535649). I'm now starting that process of arranging events, appearances and signings, with proceeds going to start up the Naknuwisha Foundation--which will provide financial assistance to families enduring the childhood cancer experience. But more on that part a little later, once we have all our ducks in a row.

1 comment:

  1. Dad is looking forward to spending some time with you. This will be a good thing for the both of you. Who knows your next book could be "Road trips with Boo and Pa." (How did you get started with the title -"Pa" anyway?)

    ReplyDelete