Thursday, June 10, 2010

Oh, Boy I Gotta Lay Off the Sauce...

I think I get sugar hangovers. I just figured this out the other day. An honest-to-God hangover. Case in point: 3 weeks ago, pal Tanya and I scored Reese's Pieces and Whoppers, then sat down and watched Julie & Julia. I cleaned out half the box of Whoppers (it was a big box). I love those things. They taste like Easter and childhood. Mmmm...nostalgia....(drool)

We loved the movie. We loved the candy. We sat up discussing the finer points of (French) cuisine afterward. In the wee hours, Tanya departed and I crashed into bed. The trouble began when I woke to the sun and a splitting temporal headache the following morning. Headache did not relieve upon eating an egg, downing a liter of water or going for a long walk. Forced headache to relieve with Tylenol, which it did reluctantly.

Jeez, that was horrible. What a rip off. Not a drop of liquor and I felt like a full-blown alcoholic waking up outside of Margaritaville on a Sunday morning in Vegas, minus the Saturday night palsy.

When you think about it, sugar is just about as damaging as booze is to the body. It doesn't seem like it, because you can remain conscious and functional, but it messes with your hormone levels somethin' mean. It hurts your tiny vessels.Your organs go, "WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO ME YOU JACKASS?"

The worst part is that I repeated my Whopper bender last week while watching True Blood, consuming the remaining offenders in the box. And, because I keep doing the same thing but expecting different results, I was surprised and very put-out when I awoke the next morning to another terrific unresolving headache. It was like I'd been drinking Mad Dog all night long.

I have got to lay off the sauce, or, maltballs as it were.

No comments:

Post a Comment