
Western University faculty cloak us in our first clinic coats. L-R: Fellow ISACers Dalia, Eunice, Me, Kif and another guy who might be Milind.Let's not make any hasty assumptions, people. Just because I have the costume does not mean I know my lines.

On Sunday, Mom, Travie and I headed to Disneyland--a quick 25 minute drive from Claremont. Firstly, I noticed that there is a big difference between my endurance and physical tolerance today, compared to when I was last there in 1995 (I was 15). My magical butt hurts. My magical ankles ache. My feet have magical blisters. Bibbity-bobbity-Ow.
But it was soooooo fun!!!
And for a Sunday near the end of summer vacation, the crowds weren't all that bad. However, if Disney hadn't implemented their FastPass system, it would've been a total nightmare. Overall, it was pretty cool to experience Disneyland as an adult, and have the wherewithal to observe just how they pull off all this magic, as opposed to being a kid and just being enveloped by it all.
Conversely, the California Adventure park was...what's the word I'm looking for? Oh, yeah...
Retarded.
I know I'm not supposed to use that word anymore, because I'm a professional, but sometimes there are certain words that capture an emotion so perfectly that they cannot be replaced. This is one of those situations.
That being said, Walt Disney has himself a helluva good business plan. $99 to get in, insanely expensive menus at the restaurants (they don't show you the prices until you're sitting at the table IN the restaurant. Another ouch), and copious pixie dust. And people pay it! There was no hint of an economic meltdown within the confines of Disneyland. Yeah, all told, that day trip probably cost $350-$400 among the three of us, but when you look at the sheer magnitude and expense of creating an Official Disney Experience, it's no wonder:
For example, every night, twice a night, the park hosts a free show called "Fantasmic"--a choreographed, pyrotechnic, musical featuring all the major Disney characters. It's changed a bit since '95, but still, it's pretty dramatic. At one point they set the River of America on fire. This show in turn is followed up by a fireworks display that also features your favorite high-flying Disney characters, all timed impeccably (would there be any other way when it comes to Disney?) to music. And these aren't just any fireworks. These are, by far, the finest fireworks I've ever seen. I never knew they could make fireworks explode in the shapes of 5 pointed stars or smiley faces. Having some experience in various forms of entertainment production, I know that these shows cost a fortune.

On Sunday, Mom, Travie and I headed to Disneyland--a quick 25 minute drive from Claremont. Firstly, I noticed that there is a big difference between my endurance and physical tolerance today, compared to when I was last there in 1995 (I was 15). My magical butt hurts. My magical ankles ache. My feet have magical blisters. Bibbity-bobbity-Ow.
But it was soooooo fun!!!
And for a Sunday near the end of summer vacation, the crowds weren't all that bad. However, if Disney hadn't implemented their FastPass system, it would've been a total nightmare. Overall, it was pretty cool to experience Disneyland as an adult, and have the wherewithal to observe just how they pull off all this magic, as opposed to being a kid and just being enveloped by it all.
Conversely, the California Adventure park was...what's the word I'm looking for? Oh, yeah...
Retarded.
I know I'm not supposed to use that word anymore, because I'm a professional, but sometimes there are certain words that capture an emotion so perfectly that they cannot be replaced. This is one of those situations.
That being said, Walt Disney has himself a helluva good business plan. $99 to get in, insanely expensive menus at the restaurants (they don't show you the prices until you're sitting at the table IN the restaurant. Another ouch), and copious pixie dust. And people pay it! There was no hint of an economic meltdown within the confines of Disneyland. Yeah, all told, that day trip probably cost $350-$400 among the three of us, but when you look at the sheer magnitude and expense of creating an Official Disney Experience, it's no wonder:
For example, every night, twice a night, the park hosts a free show called "Fantasmic"--a choreographed, pyrotechnic, musical featuring all the major Disney characters. It's changed a bit since '95, but still, it's pretty dramatic. At one point they set the River of America on fire. This show in turn is followed up by a fireworks display that also features your favorite high-flying Disney characters, all timed impeccably (would there be any other way when it comes to Disney?) to music. And these aren't just any fireworks. These are, by far, the finest fireworks I've ever seen. I never knew they could make fireworks explode in the shapes of 5 pointed stars or smiley faces. Having some experience in various forms of entertainment production, I know that these shows cost a fortune.
Life-size Maleficent dragon from "Sleeping Beauty" sets the river ablaze.And so begins, with the theme from "Splash Mountain" firmly embedded on an endless loop in my brain, day 1 of a 19 week semester.

I like what you've done with the place. Linda pick out the colors...?
ReplyDelete