I would never have expected I'd love life so much in So. Cal. I know, I know, I've gone on and on about my colleagues and my school, and blah blah blah, but hear me out. This is a big deal, because I haven't felt this good about my life and future since, like, before college.
And that was a long time ago.
Those of you who subscribe know full well that I loathed Spokane. Spokane shortened my life. But what a lot of folks don't know is that I was never really that wild about Seattle, either. Yeah, life got a lot nicer when we bought the Shoreline house and fixed it up, but it was never really where I wanted to be. Where did I want to be? I don't know for sure. But in Seattle, I wasn't doing anything except forever and anon beating my head against that top tier of Maslow's Heirarchy of Needs pyramid.
When I regaled to Matt about how unexpectedly happy I am in this life so far (yes, I do understand there's probably a major Honeymoon Effect in play here), he frowned and said, "I thought life was pretty good in Seattle." My first thought, unbidden, was, "Yeah, but even if you're under house-arrest in a palace, it's still your prison." Might've been one of those moments when candor is not the greatest virtue. My response was met with stony silence. Well, not stony. Just pebbly.
You subscribers also know that I haven't been all that wild about moving to So Cal, but thus far it has exceeded my expectations (which were tantamount to "another Spokane"). So long as it continues to be at least a neutral player in my life for the next 2 years, I'll consider this move "swell!"
Don't misunderstand: I can't wait to go home. Already I can hear the seductive siren song of Oregon.
The big riddle is where will I end up in Oregon? My goal is the Bend area. And I'll get to meet the CEO of St. Charles' Medical Center this week. WOOT!
Hey Lindsey, did you know my two uncles are docs and they live in Bend?? Though I don't know that either of them actually work there...
ReplyDeleteBut just a tidbit should you ever want to talk to anyone about medical issues + Bend.