The clock is ticking for our move, and I'm finding myself trying to cram in as many activities as possible and still have time enough left over to finish getting the house in shape for a renter. My to-do consists so far of a cycling tour of Whidbey Island (with a stop-over for fresh Penn Cove mussels--while I can still get 'em!), a trip to Deception Pass, a hike in the Ho Rainforest on the Olympic Peninsula, and another cycling trip from Forks to the La Push coast. I also wouldn't mind going to the north westernmost corner of Washington State, but I can't remember what that Point is called. I'm even entertaining a quick trip to Montana--I've never been there, either.
To further complicate things--I blame the universe for trying to mess with my emotions--I received an invitation to interview at OHSU. Just when I was wrapping everything up so neatly!
OHSU was once upon a time my first choice in a medical college. To be clear, I'm quite happy to go where I'm committed to going. In comparing the two universities, I prefer the curriculum at Western, and it's cheaper tuition. I like that I'm going into Osteopathic medicine. I do consider the move to CA a bonus in the sense that I never would have imagined myself going there. I mean, I can't live my whole life in the North West. There is other stuff to see. Such scenarios lend themselves to good stories down the road, if nothing else (my life in Spokane sure did).
Most of me wants to say 'Thanks but no thanks'. After all, I've made the deposits and signed the contracts for Western. And OHSU sure took their sweet time, while the DO schools were clamoring for interviews back in September. But a part of me still wants to go to this interview for spite. That's right. I'm a spiteful student doctor. I think I might do well, because I'm under absolutely no pressure to perform. I might go. I'm supposed to be in Portland that week anyway.
VS. 
If I were to get an acceptance (for which I have no expectation), I must admit that I would take some pleasure in rejecting them. Not OHSU specifically, but the greater institution of allopathic admissions. That process is hell. And they made me feel like a total jackass.
My parents, however, are immediately under the impression that I should get in and then cancel out of my commitments to Western in preference to an offer from OHSU. I suspect it's not just about the efficacy of only moving to OR rather than CA. I suspect it has something to do with getting into an MD program over a DO.
VS. 
If I were to get an acceptance (for which I have no expectation), I must admit that I would take some pleasure in rejecting them. Not OHSU specifically, but the greater institution of allopathic admissions. That process is hell. And they made me feel like a total jackass.
My parents, however, are immediately under the impression that I should get in and then cancel out of my commitments to Western in preference to an offer from OHSU. I suspect it's not just about the efficacy of only moving to OR rather than CA. I suspect it has something to do with getting into an MD program over a DO.
No comments:
Post a Comment