Friday, March 6, 2009

When Will it END?

I switched my IRA to a new financial advisor in late summer/early fall. I like the guy. He has a good head on his shoulders from what I can tell, and he's a persistent sonofagun on top of that. So he won my respect and my $. In October, he called and suggested that I move most of my (cute little) IRA into GE stocks. After discussion and research, I agreed that GE was a suitably diversified company for long-term investment (I was at my mammogram the other day and the scanner was made by GE. GE made some of our appliances. GE makes windfarms. GE makes solar cells. They make freakin' everything, and work more and more in alternative energies), and agreed to buy the stock at a 10 year low. 

At that time, our then-President had yet to fill us in on just how bad things were gonna get. He was still puttin' out the same message: "Everything's fine. Go buy stuff." So I bought. For approximately $19/share. Not bad. 

At this moment, GE stock is at $6.82.

I keep a weather eye out on my stocks. I have a little widget that I check a few times each week. Yet, somehow I managed to miss this last plunge. Last time I remember reading a GE value, it was somewhere up around $12--I love that I'm using the phrase "somewhere up around" to describe the $12 level. 

I suppose as long as it doesn't go to zero, I'll be OK. 

Right?

3 comments:

  1. I hear ya on that, I have a little stock tracker on my sidebar...now I am not hoping for big numbers, but I would like to see green numbers for more than, say, an hour or two.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You diligently track the value of your stocks. There's your problem. Ignorance is bliss these days, Fetus Friend. I thought my last quarterly 401(k) statement was an elaborately planned hoax, and spent the rest of the afternoon peeking around corners, looking for Ashton and his camera crew.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thought you would like to know: GE closed up for the day at $7.06. Ah. Now THAT'S what I'm talking about.

    ReplyDelete