Sunday, March 22, 2009

In Defense of the Low-Iodine Diet

I am wholly inconvenienced by this new and transitory lifestyle choice (I had to bring my own food to Matt's going away party at the TS McHugh's pub--BORING!), but in its defense, it really does clean you up. No processed foods. No dairy. The only fats you can eat are good fats (olive oil, mostly). I made some bread in a machine, and that makes this diet much much easier. The first time I did it, I tried to make bread by hand and it sucked. So I went 2 weeks without grains. That was hard. I don't know how you Atkin's lovers ever did it. Weirdos.

A typical day generally involves 1/2 c rolled oats with brown sugar and cranberries and a hard boiled egg white. Or two. Lunch may be an open-face toasted mushroom/onion/garlic sandwich or it might be a salad with roasted chicken breast, avocado, cranberries, red onions and balsamic vinegar/oil. Either of those might be dinner, too. Or I might enjoy unsalted fresh PB on bread machine bread with some Polaner All Fruit. Dessert might be some fruit or these "no bake cookies" I made out of the thyca.org recipe book--except that they wouldn't stir together, so I added some more oil. Then they stirred together but won't set in an actual cookie, so now I have "no bake cookie slurry" that I eat with a spoon out of a tupperware. Waste not, want not. 

Tomorrow I might get myself a 4 oz top sirloin with steamed asparagus and red peppers. 

All that being said, I really don't feel all that well this week. My tum-tum always feels sick after dinner. Feels sick right now. Lasts most of the evening. 3 days down, 4 days to go. Tomorrow is the first of the butt-shots. Fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment