Just to underscore that I must be reminded constantly as to just how easy and enjoyable life can be if we do things correctly, I'll regale you with my bicycle adventure:
As of late Feb, I'd put about 1,300 miles on my Giant OCR3 road bike over the past 11 months. I thought, "Oh, I should bring that baby in for a tune up." I had a free coupon (nice!) and I wanted to get it done well before the Cascade Bicycle Club's spring training series starts on March 14. While I was at it, I finally made the decision to remove the brake interrupters (a literal interruption in the brake line that puts an extra set of brake handles on the cross bar, so you can brake in either the upright or the standard position), because I hate them. They take up space and are more in my way than they are useful. I also found out at this point that I was overdue by about 600 miles for a new chain.
I got it back a day or two later and rode to classes the next day. That thing rides like butter!
Aaaannnd now I have an image of myself astride a giant stick of butter, cowboy-ing away.
Come to find out that an old chain, even if intermittently cleaned and oiled, can wear the crap out of your gears. I was stunned at how easy the ride to school was that day. I got to school and kept muttering to myself all morning, "How was that so easy today?"
I've since re-adapted to the ease and have resumed whining continuously the whole way there and back about getting sweaty.
Another added plus to yesterday's ride: it was 50 degrees. Yesterday marked the first day that I could comfortably ride without my shoe covers or my jacket, and wearing only one layer of shirts.
No comments:
Post a Comment