Thursday, January 15, 2009

Avoiding Writing a Detailed Description of Blood's Path Through the Heart and its Accompanying Electrical Signaling Patterns

Yeah, I really should be doing that instead, but I'm already sitting here at the computer. With "Pie-Heaven" open to the Dashboard. I can't not blog now. 

In an effort to remain fit despite my academic schedule this term and to avoid paying for parking, etc., I have started cycling to class. I've got about 10 lbs of Christmas that need come out of my trunk, and I feel that powering myself to school each day is the best way.

I carefully designed a safe route to school--contained only on cycling trails and residential side-streets, with a light for the two crossings of major thoroughfares. However, I never got a chance to test this route out, because on my test ride, I found out that my road is closed due to construction.  The only ways around this blockage are to ride 1 block to the East and down Highway 99 (ain't gonna happen) until I can re-connect with the original route, or to ride some 6 blocks out of my way to Greenwood Ave, down Greenwood about a 1/2 mile and then another 6 blocks or so back to my route. Also, not gonna happen--I'd like the commute to a school only 3 miles from my house as the crow flies to take less than 45 minutes. 

Time for plan B. 

Good thing this one checked out, b/c there really isn't a plan C available. Another look over my King County cycling map shows that the next safest route would be to ride downhill to Meridian Ave and follow that all the way to school. This is a more considerable workout. 1 major hillclimb in both directions, and many long, gradual uphill grades. 

And I've pulled it off all this week without a hitch. It's so damn cold here (they've been touting temps in the 50s this week with mostly sunny skies, but all we've gotten is low 40s and clouds), that the harder route is proving beneficial. By the time I get to school I'm comfortably warm, fully awake and rejuvenated. 

I've read on various bike commuter blogs that despite the extra time and effort required, people continually report that their commute is their favorite time of day. I have to agree. Despite the cold, it's marvelously peaceful on the morning ride, and a good energizing boost in the afternoon. It fights off that mid-afternoon lull you get every day. 

The only thing that makes me nervous is getting a flat and being late for an exam (I'm not too quick with changing tires). It's bound to happen sometime when you're logging 30+ miles/week.

3 comments:

  1. Low 40s? BOO HOO. It was -40 with windchill yesterday. And -12 was the ACTUAL temperature (windchill NOT added) this morning. Guess who's NOT biking to work? Thank goodness for that free bus pass!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr. Tom says that the answer is to move out of KIng County. Nuff Said!

    ReplyDelete