Thursday, January 8, 2009

Marin's Last Swim


Marin Morrison is a local teen who is also a brilliant swimmer. BRILLIANT. Michael Phelps, you can suck it.

Marin Morrison is also the subject of a series of stories for which Matt won the Edward R. Murrow last year, broadcast news' highest honor.

Marin Morrison finally succumbed to cancer on January 2, 2009 after nearly a 4 year fight.

And what a fight. 

Last night Matt and I attended her funeral. Hundreds of people showed up and hundreds more attended via live webcast, and each were given a blue swim cap inked with "Swim Marin!" on it. Everyone wore them for a final cheer to the girl whose name means "of the sea" while she embarks on The Eternal Swim.

It is my experience that putting something into words often diminishes its beauty, so I won't try to do that here. I will, however, provide the links to both her website and some of the stories that Matt and NBC told about her. They're better story tellers than I am.

Her stories are truly profound, as is her legacy.

Click "watch the story" at the top of the articles.

August 2008 follow-up on Marin
Marin Makes the Paralympics
Marin's Obit, KOMO
NBC


No comments:

Post a Comment