Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Bad Boys Bad Boys!

Most of you are well aware of Matt's job hunt over the last couple months. It's been an...interesting experience. They're pretty flaky. They say they'll call, then they don't call. They say they want more tapes, then they say don't worry about it. They say they want him to come down and talk to the owner in person, then they say, "Oh, never mind. We can just talk on the phone." So Matt, as is his style, rolls with it all with much more grace and good humor than I ever would (I've been verbally indignant about their waffling this whole time).

Also, during this time, they've been talking him up. A lot. We've heard--and I quote--"you're at the top of our list for the 5 positions we need to fill", "You're exactly the kind of guy we're looking for with your ENG (that's electronic news-gathering to all you folks who aren't in the biz) experience" and--my personal favorite--"we want you to come work for us. As a formality, the owner likes to meet all hires in person." 

So you can understand our consternation when they called today to say they hired "someone else". 

But that's not even the worst part!

The worst part is that I think they never had any intention of calling. Matt did his "it's-just-a-formality-interview" with the owner and he said, "I'll call you tomorrow with the final answer." The final answer? I thought this was just a formality! Well, needless to say, that call never came. So yesterday Matt called them, and no one was around. So he called again today and the first guy who interviewed him a few weeks back said, "They haven't given you an answer yet? Oh, jeez. I'll go find out right now and call you back." Then he called back a few hours later and dropped the bomb of all bombs. So it seems that if Matt hadn't been pestering them for an answer today, they just never would have responded at all. 

Since we (erroneously it would seem) thought Matt had the job already, we've set some things in motion for the move and whatnot that now have to be stopped, since he won't have that kind of income rolling in.

Inconveniences aside, I want to punch 'em in the face for treating Matt the way that they have. I'd like to know who they did hire. If they thought fit to pass Matt up, these guys must be good.

3 comments:

  1. Ugh! I'm sorry to hear that. Crappy. Well, hopefully this means something better will come along. (Hey, you know I had to say it).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, geez. What a totally unacceptable state of affairs. My sincere condolences. I'll never, for the life of me, understand when organization run their front line HR practices that way. Perhaps, in this case, the program subjects' aggregate behavior has been subconsciously adopted by the show's producers. That, or, they're all just idiots.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, boy! Well, whats done is done. (A mother has to say that) Best to just move forward, and start another plan. It will work out!

    ReplyDelete