Saturday, February 14, 2009

The V-Day Menu

Valentine's Day makes me feel awkward. I don't really like it. I mean, it's a day of obligated romance. Who wants that? Though, last year (I think it was last year), Matt and I went out on the 13th and we basically "bar hopped" a bunch of restaurants. We did apps and drinks at El Gaucho, then we went to a place called Crow in lower Queen Anne for entree (and more bevs) and finally we hit the Icon for dessert. That was fun.

But seriously, I don't really dig all the girly romance stuff. I do enjoy Valentine's Day if it brings with it some high quality chocolate. But I'll dig any day that brings that.

So this year, not wanting to spend a lot of money or be under any pressure, I said, "Let's not do anything for V-day." Well, that turned out to not be true either. Instead, we're having a diluted V-day dinner with our neighbors Dave & Renee. But it's a freakin' good menu:

apps: toasted bruschetta with goat cheese
entree: bacon-wrapped filet mignon with fresh asparagus steamed in lemon, and garlic cous-cous
dessert: red velvet cake with toasted pecans.

Those little 5 oz. filets weren't expensive. I was surprised. They were $9.99/lb. That's pretty much the same price for flank steak, that we eat all the time. My recipe calls for them to be glazed in white truffle infused olive oil, but I'm going to use plain olive oil. I told you my love was diluted.

No comments:

Post a Comment